History of Shusse Inari Shrine

The history of the shrine can be traced back to the 12th century.

 Shusse Inari Shrine was respected by the feudal lords of Matsue, as well as the area’s local people, from the 12th century onwards.

 Originally, our shrine was located on Mt Kameda, where Matsue Castle stands today. This mountain used to be also called Mt Suetsugu.

 According to the oldest records we have, villagers worshipped at the shrine on Mt Kameda as early as the Kamakura Period (1185-1333). Rokuro Tsuchiya, who ruled the area as estate steward of Suetsugu Castle after or around that time, had great faith in the Kami. Further, the lords of the castle, such as Goro-Kiyomasa Suetsugu, also had great faith as well. 

 In 1611, at the beginning of the Edo Period, Yoshiharu Horio re-built the castle on Mt Kameda and changed its name to Matsue Castle. He had experienced great success in his career and become a Daimyo (feudal lord), serving Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Ieyasu Tokugawa. He also had great faith, as did each subsequent lord including Tadataka Kyogoku and Naomasa Matsudaira (grandson of Ieyasu Tokugawa, founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate).

 When Horio built Matsue Castle, he moved the shrine to land near the mountain where a new building was constructed. The successive lords of the castle paid respects to the shrine and used their feudal clan budget to support it. We believe Harusato “Fumai-Ko” Matsudaira, the famous lord and master of Japanese tea ceremony, also paid respects.

 In 1888 (Meiji 21), our shrine was moved to where it stands now due to the abolition of the feudal ‘han system’ that followed the end of the Edo Period.

After this, Shusse Inari Jinja was the 1st or 2nd largest shrine in Matsue City, but unfortunately all the buildings were lost in a conflagration in 1949 (Showa 24). At this time, Japan was still struggling to recover from WWII, so a temporary shrine building was constructed due to lack of materials. At almost the same time, Matsue City needed part of the shrine precincts, reducing them in size.

 During the Heisei Period (1989- ), the shrine buildings and precincts were re-arranged. In 1998, construction of a new haiden (worship hall) was completed.

 Today, Shusse Inari Shrine is considered one of the “big three” Inari shrines of Matsue, the other two being Komori Inari in Ishibashi-cho and Funadama Inari in Higashihonmachi.

 In 2017, Shusse Inari Shrine in Matsue opened a branch in the US: Shusse Inari Shrine of America, located in Los Angeles.  Shusse Inari Shrine of America is run by a senior priest from the Shusse Inari Shrine of Matsue who holds a priest certification from Jinja Honcho (Association of Shinto Shrines).

出世稲荷神社の御由緒

12世紀まで遡る由緒ある神社

 出世稲荷神社は、松江の領主が代々信仰した神社で、12世紀まで歴史を遡ることができます。

 元は今の松江城のある亀田山、大昔は末次山と言っていましたが、その地にありました。末次の地を開拓するにあたり、農耕の守護神をお祀りしたのが始まりとされ、里人が信仰していました。

 鎌倉時代に入り、松江の里(末次の里)を地頭として支配した土屋六郎をはじめ、末次城主となった末次五郎清政や松江城を築城した堀尾吉晴、さらには江戸期に入ってからの松江城主、松平家に至るまで、代々この地を治めた人々も信仰していました。

 堀尾吉晴公が松江城を築城した際、当社は松江の守護神として、藩の細工所の敷地(現在の県民会館のエリア)の中に、新しくお宮を造営してお祀りしました。後を継いだ松平家の代々の殿様も同様にお祀りし、藩費にて神社の費用を賄っていました。

 明治の廃藩に伴い、土地が民有地になったことなどから、明治21年に現在の場所の寺町にお宮を遷しました。

 当社は、「松江三大稲荷」に挙げられ、大変御利益があるということで広く知られ、開運招福、商売繁盛、病気平癒、厄除けなどを願う人々の信仰を集め、多くの方々が参詣になっています。また、開運出世に特に御利益があるということから、いつの頃からか「出世稲荷神社」という呼び名となり、合格成就を願う人々が多くお参りしてきました。

 また、以前はこの地に「八百屋畠」があったことから、 「八百屋畠のお稲荷さん」という愛称も持っていました。

かつては、社殿をはじめ諸施設の造営あるいは改修により、松江でも1、2を争う施設を有していましたが、昭和24年の松江白潟大火で罹災し、社殿、諸施設のすべてを失いました。戦後間もなくの時期で本格的な復興もままならず、都市計画による境内地の道路への収用もあり、未完成のままで長い年月を過ごしました。

 平成に入ってから、本格的な社殿造営、境内整備に着手し、平成9年秋の新社殿の造営、境内の美化整備を経て、わずかでも旧に復することがかないました。これは一重に広大無辺なご神威の賜物であると思われます。

 日本の伝統的精神や文化に興味を持ち、日本文化と日本人の心を全世界に紹介した、『知られざる日本の面影』『怪談(耳なし芳一、雪女など)』の著者・小泉八雲(ラフカディオ・ハーン)は、出雲地方に不思議な魅力を感じ、「神々の国の首都」と記しましたが、当社のご祭神もその神々の列にあって、懸命に生きる人たちの切実な願いをお聞き届けになっています。ご参拝になり、大神様と縁を結んでいただき、幸せを手にされますよう由緒の概略に合わせてご案内いたします。

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram